Monday, February 11, 2008

Obedience works!

I got this email from one of my advanced students and asked if i could post it to our blog! her reply was:

(by the way you should also know that molly is very high prey drive and sometimes dog agressive

Sure you can. The thing is, I don't think I would have had that control if I hadn't started the classes again. Sally

karen taylor wrote:
> Wow awesome! Can I post this on my blog?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sally Cruikshank [mailto:funonmars@earthlink.net]
> Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:10 PM
> To: karen taylor
> Subject: Obedience in Action
>
> I got to lake Balboa at dawn, as usual, and walked Molly on her flat
> collar. We played a lot of chuckit on the field on the first lap. On
> the second lap, I took her out on the field and practiced many of the
> things we'd learned yesterday: off leash healing, distance downs and
> sits (not so good on the sit) otherwise PERFECT. I tried some
> find-its throwing food about when she was runningoff after the tennis
> ball and she liked finding them on her return.
>
> I put her on a really L O N G distance down stay and then called her.
> She came running right to me. As a reward I threw the chuckit tennis
> ball one more time. As she was running back with the ball, she
> suddenly stopped and looked away. She never stops on her way back with the ball.
>
> And there was a beautiful, solo, coyote staring at us, and then
> walking straight towards us but still at a distance. I told Molly "down-stay"
> as I rushed to her to get the leash on. She lay down reluctantly.
> The coyote was still approaching us. I waved the chuckit stick at it
> and used my exorcist voice to scare it off. It didn't scare. It was
> small but it was bold.
>
> We headed towards the sidewalk. I kept looking behind me and the
> coyote was still approaching us. In fact it even flanked us, which
> was creepy. Then it seemed to change its mind, and moved off. I saw
> it it stick its nose in a hole and pull out and eat something
> wiggling, in one gulp.
>
> Molly was much bigger than the coyote. I could tell she knew it
> wasn't a dog. She wasn't flipping on her leash the way she might have
> if it were a loose dog. But she was wary of it, and loose leash
> walking was over for awhile!
>
> Sally

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just sent out a similar story to my clients a few months ago! My heart goes out to your friend. I hear this story all too often as I work in that “neck” of the woods! I will pass this on!

Karen Reardon Taylor, CPDT (by Certification Council of Pet Dog Trainers)
Owner, Trainer and Behavior Counselor for My Best Friend OBedience
Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Prof. Mem of Assoc. of Pet Dog Trainers
Member of the Southern California Dog Trainers Forum and American Humane Association
in Reseda California
Serving the San Fernando Valley and Surrounding areas.
www.mybestfriendobedience.com
818 996 3647(dogs)
Toll Free 866 996 3647(dogs)

________________________________________
From: SCDTF@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCDTF@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Caryl Wolff
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:31 PM
To: SCDTF@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SPAM][SCDTF] Coyotes



I just got a call from a friend of mine who lives in Tarzana that his
Norfolk terrier was killed by coyotes in their backyard on Sunday.
They don't live in the hills -- he's just a block off Ventura
Boulevard. He has heard -- much too late -- that there are coyotes in
an orange grove a few blocks from their house. And he has seen a
number of signs posted about lost pets in the past week or so. If you
have clients in the SFV, please let them know. March and April are the
busiest seasons for coyotes, and animal control does not go after them.

They are thinking about getting another dog and were interested in
Westies or Havanese. If anyone knows of a good breeder, please let me
know.

Thanks,

Caryl Wolff, CPDT, NADOI, CDBC
Miss Doggie Manners (R)